B orn on the 20th day of August, 1951, Rt. Honourable Joshua Olagunju Ojo is currently the Speaker, Oyo State House of Assembly and was the Deputy Speaker and Minority Leader of the same House from 1999 to 2003 and June 10,2015 to May 15 2018 respectively. His foray into politics which dates back to 1990 has seen him occupy several other political, administrative and party positions at the Local, State and National Levels which include:
- Member, Governing Board of Nigerian Building and Road Research Institute, NBRRI, Abuja – 2013 -2014
- National Delegate to the 2012 PDP National Convention, Abuja 2012
- Member, PDP Presidential Campaign Committee, South West of Nigeria for Goodluck Jonathan/Sambo Organization – 2010-2011
- National Delegate to the 2011 PDP National Convention, Abuja 2011
- Member, National Assembly Screening Committee for Niger State 2010
- Declared for PDP in Oyo State 2008
- Member, Presidential Campaign Committee of Action Congress Oyo State (AC) – 2007
- Deputy Governorship Aspirant of Action Congress (AC), Oyo State 2006 – 2007
- Federal House of Representatives Candidate on the Platform of Alliance for Democracy (AD), Ogbomoso North, South and Oriire Federal Constituency, Oyo State – 2003
- Leader, National Centre Party of Nigeria (NCPN), Oriire Local Govt. Area 1996 – 1997
- Appointed Board Member of Trans Nigeria Motel Ltd by the Oyo State Government – 1992 – 1993
- Elected Councilor on the Platform of Social Democratic party (SDP),Oriire Local Government – 1991 – 1993
- Appointed Member, Strategic Committee of the Social Democratic Party (SDP), Oyo State1991 -1993
Presently, before becoming the Speaker, he was the Minority Leader of Oyo State Legislature, and also member of the following:
- Committee on Petitions on Creation of LCDAs in Oyo State established by the Oyo State Government
- Implementation Committee of the newly created LCDAs in Oyo State
- House Committee on Local Government and Chieftaincy Matters
- House Committee on Agriculture
- House Committee on Lands, Housing and Surveying.
Prior to his coming into partisan politics, Rt.Hon Joshua Olagunju Ojo briefly worked as a teacher at the Primary and Secondary Modern School Levels under the Oyo State Teaching Service Commission from 1973 for 1975 before joining the defunct Nigerian Tobacco Company Ltd as a Salesman for about five years (1976-1981). He then moved to the defunct Africana Breweries Ltd to continue his Sales career from 1982 to 1990 during which he rose to the enviable position of Sales Operations Manager.
Rt.Hon Ojo started his now acclaimed integrated farming Venture at Idi-Amu Village in Oriire Local Government Area in 1991 and has a cocoa farming project at Okonwe Village in Ovia South West Local Government Area of Edo State which he commenced in 1999. His deep involvement and great interest in farming and agricultural development saw him becoming the Deputy Chairman, All Farmers Association of Nigeria in 2010, a position he holds till date.
Right Honourable Joshua Olagunju Ojo holds the Teachers Grade Two Certificate, West African School Certificate, Diploma in Sales Management, Advanced Diploma in Business Administration from the University of Ibadan, Higher Diploma in Christian Religious Education from Fuller College of Theology, Ibadan and Bachelor of Education (in view) of the Nigerian Teachers Institute.
He also has the following Professional Qualifications:
- Fellow Institute of Management Executives and Administrators of Nigeria (FIMEA) – 2002
- Fellow Institute of Business and Management Sciences (FIBMS) 2002
- Fellow, Legislative Process and Procedure (FLPP) World Wide Conferences of Nigeria – 1999]
PRIMARY SCHOOL: Baptist Pry Sch, Oko. (1959-1964), Aiyegun Baptist Day Sch. Ogbomoso (1965)
SECONDARY SCHOOL: Baptist Secondary Model Sch., Ogbomoso & Baptist College, Iwo (1966-1972)
INSTITUTION: University Of Ibadan. (1992-2000)
ORGANIZATION: Africana Breweries Ltd, Ibadan. (Sales Operations) 1991-1993
ORGANIZATION: Nigeria Tobacco Co. Ltd (Senior Salesman) 1976-1981